I’m a whitewater paddler…
So, if you’ve paddled a few rivers, enjoy being part of a group on whitewater and you want a qualification that recognises your competence then the 3 Star Whitewater Kayak is perfect. Successful performance at this level indicates that a candidate can consider themselves as an intermediate paddler rather than a beginner, who has demonstrated personal competence as a member of a group paddling on grade 2 water.
The 3 Star Whitewater Kayak is a British Canoeing course, with a national certification for successful candidates. You can download the syllabus and assessment notes from British Canoeing.
Here is the lowdown:
– You should already hold the British Canoeing 2 Star Award or be paddling at that standard in your kayak and have completed 10 days of paddling on moving water (this is not a course for beginners). Use the pre-requisites detailed by British Canoeing as guidance.
– The course will include instruction in kayak handling skills, successful trip planning, group management and safety and rescues. It does involve candidates performing rolling, some boat exits, swims and rescues.
– We will paddle the rivers of Dartmoor or the Brecon Beacons, depending on client preference and river levels.
– There are a maximum of 5 places available, with a minimum of 3 required for the course to run unless special arrangements are made.
– Cost is £75pp for two days coaching.