I just love to explore in my kayak…
If your love of kayaking leads you to placid rivers, lakes and tidal estuaries and you want a qualification that acknowledges your competence then the 3 Star Touring is perfect. Successful performance at this level indicates that a candidate can consider themselves as an intermediate paddler rather than a beginner, who has demonstrated personal competence as a member of a group paddling in a variety of venues.
The 3 Star Kayak Touring is a British Canoeing course, with a national certification for successful candidates. You can download the syllabus and assessment notes from British Canoeing.
Here is the lowdown:
– You should already hold the British Canoeing 2 Star Award or be paddling at that standard in your kayak (this is not a course for absolute beginners). Use the pre-requisites detailed by British Canoeing as guidance.
– The course will include instruction in kayak handling skills and trip planning and does involve candidates performing some boat exits, swims and rescues.
– The coaching will take place at open water venues with at least one of the days including a journey on a river with some discernible flow.
– Live2Flow has a selection of boats and paddles suitable for the touring environment, but if you already have your own boat and paddle then bring them along.
– There are a maximum of 6 places available, with a minimum of 3 required for the course to run.
– Cost is £75pp for 2 days coaching only, £100pp for 2 days coaching + board & paddle hire.